The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation announced the release of revamped draft revisions to the state’s solid waste regulations. This is the second release of the Draft Part 360 Regulations. The first Draft was release in 2016, and went through a public review. The DEC determined that changes were required and has now released the second Draft.
This is a major revision of the Part 360 Solid Waste Regulations.
The DEC noted that “a component of this proposed rule-making is to subdivide the solid waste management facility regulations into groups that are similar in nature, such as facilities that recycle and recover materials. Therefore, the current Part 360 criteria will be found in Parts 360, 361, 362, 363, 365, and 366. In addition to the solid waste management facilities and activities currently regulated under Part 360, this proposed rule-making includes revisions to regulations governing waste transportation (Part 364) and state assistance grants to municipalities related to solid waste management (Part 369).”
Changes to the regulation will affect:
- beneficial use determinations or BUDs (where the DEC re-categorizes waste material and no longer governs it as solid waste)
- Material Recovery Facilities
- Composting and Organic Processing Facilities
- Construction and Demolition Debris Processing Facilities (including storage and setback limits)
- Metal Processing and Vehicle Dismantling Facilities
- Used Cooking Oil Facilities
- Fill Material Processing Facilities (including Permits for facilities over 500 TPD capacity)
- Waste Transporters
- Regulated Medical Waste Facilities
- State Assistance Projects
- Municipal Plans
Copies of the proposed rule can be found at: http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/81768.html
The DEC has established a public comment period to solicit feedback from residents and impacted facilities, and will accepted comments through July 21, 2017. Comments can be sent to:
Melissa Treers, P.E.
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
Division of Materials Management
Albany, NY 12233-7260
A Public hearing will be held on July 13, 2017, 1:00 PM: at NYS DEC, 625 Broadway, Albany, NY 12233.
Call Walden Environmental Engineering for any questions or advice on Solid Waste Regulations and how the changes could affect your business: 516-624-7200.