The Community Right-To-Know (RTK) Program requires businesses in New York City to document and report their quantities of potentially hazardous materials to the New York City Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). Every year, owners or operators from any facility within Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx, or Staten Island must complete a Facility Inventory Form (FIF) for each facility that stores or uses regulated chemicals. Reports are due for NYC facilities on March 1st.
- Industrial or Manufacturing Facilities
- Dry Cleaners
- Hotels, Nursing Homes, and Commercial Hospitality Businesses
- Car Dealers, Service Stations, and Auto Body Shops
- Funeral Homes
- Bulk Supply Stores
- Research Laboratories
- Other Businesses That House Hazardous Substances
Examples of some chemicals to include in your FIF include:
- Motor Oil, Brake Fluid, Antifreeze
- Paints, Paint Thinners, Lacquers, Dyes
- Cleaning Supplies, Bleach, Wax, Solvents, Detergents
- Aerosols, Air Fresheners, Disinfectants, Insect Repellants
- Lubricants, Grease, Degreasers
- Batteries, Fertilizers, Preservatives
- Compressed Gas Cylinders
There are serious penalties for skipping your Right To Know Filing! Noncompliance or incorrect forms could cost you $2,500 and up to a year in prison for your first violation – and fines increase for repeated violations. With reasonable suspicion of a violation at your business, the DEP could inspect your facility without prior warning.
RTK Filing of your facilities’ chemical inventories must be completed by March 1 and can be done on paper, or online through the DEP’s Tier II Filing System.
Walden can help you with every step of the Right to Know Process – our services include:
- Full chemical inventory of all used or stored chemicals at your facility
- Completion of all NYCDEP forms (paper or Tier Two Filing)
- Finished inventory packages for submittal to NYCDEP & Fire Department of New York (FDNY)
- Handle any follow-up questions that you (or the NYCDEP) might have
Please contact Walden Environmental Engineering at 516-624-7200 if you have any questions regarding your chemical inventory or RTK Tier II filing.