How to be Prepared for an Aboveground Storage Tank Inspection:
If you’re maintaining large supplies of regulated chemicals, aboveground storage tank (AST) inspection are a requirement. Local regulatory agencies require proper registration of tanks as they routinely conduct inspections to check for compliance with County and State rules. If you are not in compliance, they can issue you a Notice of Violations that includes fines and other penalties. Fines can be as much as $1000 per day for non-registered tanks, or $10,000 per tank for other infractions.
Following these steps will ensure you’re fully prepared when it’s time for your next inspection:
- Register each tank with the appropriate agency. If you’re within New York City, that’s the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC); otherwise it’s your County health department.
- Properly label every container.
- Color code every fill port.
- Conduct your own monthly, quarterly and annual aboveground storage tank inspection, and maintain thorough records of your inspections.
- Post your operating permit in a prominent place.
Note that some automotive fluids distributors will provide aboveground storage tanks at no charge, including installation, as long as you purchase the products stored inside exclusively from them. Be aware that you are still responsible for obtaining the proper permits and registrations required for those tanks.
Being prepared will help avoid unnecessary fees and ensures fewer problems in the future. Call Walden Environmental Engineering at (516)-624-7200 (NYC – Long Island), (845)-745-0888 (Hudson Valley Area), or (518)-698-3012 (Capital District Area).